5 Things to consider when building your own home in Northern Ireland


1. Under the Water (Northern Ireland) Order 1999, the discharge of trade or sewage waste to any waterway, or any water contained underground requires the consent of (DAERA) Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs

2. This is referred to as a ‘Consent to Discharge Application’ 

3. This is a legal document - Not having it can prevent you from buying or selling a house

4. It is NOT acceptable to discharge from a standard Septic Tank directly to a waterway

5. Within your Consent to Discharge Application it is a condition that you enter into a contract with the supplier of your sewage treatment system, or other competent body, to maintain optimum performance of the sewage treatment system at all times.